Cairns 4WD Hire
Cairns is a sunny holiday destination with plenty of attractions and things to do. It’s the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and its close proximity to the Tablelands region and Daintree Forest makes it ideal for the 4WD enthusiast. Cairns 4WD rentals recommend the following:
Daintree actually begins about an hour’s drive north of Cairns at Mossman Gorge. It is thought to be one of the oldest rainforests in the world with a wealth of unique plants and wildlife that are only found here. It enjoys a reputation as a bird watcher’s paradise. Hop in your Cairns 4WD hire and explore valleys, walk along sandy beaches, cross rivers and streams and marvel at immense mountain ranges.
- Mossman Gorge-Just one hectare of this stunning rainforest area is thought to contain 30,000 species of plants and animals. If you are looking for pristine wilderness then this is the place for you – crystal clear waters, lush greenery and rugged granite boulders. Take the 2km rainforest loop trail, enjoy a guided bushwalk to learn about the indigenous culture, swim in freshwater swimming holes and enjoy a casual picnic lunch.
- Daintree Village-this charming town that is framed by scenic valleys was home to timber loggers in the 1800s but is now a hub for sustainable cattle and tropical fruit farming. There’s a great range of accommodation options here and it’s the spot to embark on scenic drives, organised cruises, walks and guided tours.
- Bloomfield Track-an iconic 4WD track that links Bloomfield Falls and Cooktown with Cape Tribulation. Travel through scenery unsurpassed – spectacular beaches, rivers and lush forest. There’s plenty of uphill climbs, raging waterways to cross and the real possibility of getting stuck if it’s wet. A definite must-do in your Cairns 4×4 hire!
- Cape Tribulation- This is where the Daintree meets the Great Barrier Reef. It’s a top spot for some beachfront camping. There’s plenty of things to do here including bushwalking, river cruising, diving, snorkelling, swimming, horse riding and ziplining through the forest canopy.
The Great Barrier Reef
Cairns is the perfect base to explore this natural wonderland from. You can embark on day tours to the reef, overnight sailing tours, snorkelling and diving tours all from here.
Some of the most popular things to do on the reef include:
- Seaplane tour over heart reef- it’s the only way to see this stunning formation.
- Enjoy a glass-bottomed boat tour where you can see the marine life and colourful coral without getting wet
- Scuba diving/snorkelling- plenty of tours offering this up close and personal experience in this aquatic wonderland
- Island hop- there are many islands on the Great Barrier Reef and you can enjoy day trips to some of them from Cairns or even combine a stay at some of the fabulous resorts with your stay in Cairns
- Adventure activities are an awesome way to enjoy your time here. Think bungee jumping, white water rafting, kayaking and horse riding
It’s around 1.5 hrs (90km SW) from Cairns to the Atherton Tablelands, you can head south and follow the Gilles Hwy if you would like a coastal mountain route or alternatively you can head from the northern side along the Kuranda highway. The climate is perfect for visiting any time of year; the high season is typically from July to November and can be very humid, while the low season from December through to April is less crowded and cooler.
There is a wealth of things to see and do in the Tablelands, highlights include:
- Waterfall Circuit – runs for 17km and showcases some spectacular scenery. Includes Millaa Millaa Falls, Zillie and Ellinjaa Falls. Each has their own unique features which may include serene rainforest, water cascading over lava columns or a pristine swimming hole at the bottom
- Granite Gorge Nature Park- a fabulous spot to park your Cairns camper hire and enjoy feeding the rock wallabies, strolling the numerous walking trails or marvelling at the ancient volcanic landscape
- Chillagoe Caves-explore these fascinating natural formations on either a ranger guided or self-guided tour. Explore caverns, tunnels; see stalactites, flowstones and stalagmites. There are a number of walks that stretch from 9km through to 440km. There are picnic areas a wealth of wildlife and Aboriginal rock art galleries to discover. The mining history of the area is on display at the Chillagoe smelters.
- Mamu Rainforest Canopy Walk –you will start at a 10m long cantilever which rises as the ground drops steeply. Continue along an elevated walkway through the rainforest canopy enjoying views of valley, rivers and rainforest. Finish at the observation tower
- Undara Lava Tubes-take a guided tour of these breathtaking underground caves. Thought to be formed 190,000 years ago when lava from the Undara volcano spewed onto the tablelands. A real highlight is the Bayliss Cave. There are camping options available ro you can stay in a restored railway carriage in the bush.
- Paronella Park-Mena Creek Falls, a castle, bridges, tunnel, tennis courts, picnic grounds, lush rainforest- what more could you want for a great day out?
- Yungaburra- Here you can see the Curtain Figtree and elusive platypus come out at night at Petersons creek, There are markets here every fourth sat of the month where you can buy some delicious fresh produce
- Tyrconnell Goldmine –stay in a unique miner’s cottage, bushwalk, pan for gold, enjoy a historical mining tour, a nocturnal cemetery tour wrapped up in warm welcoming, old fashioned B&B service.
- Hallorans Hill –the highest point in the region you can enjoy sweeping panoramic views from here. Over Atherton and the farmlands. There are picnic and BBQ facilities here too.
Fitzroy Island – a wonderful day trip for the whole family. Catch the ferry over to enjoy unspoiled beach, kayaking, hiking and more
Ride the Tully River
Ride the Tully River-easily some of the best white water rapids in Australia located here
Take the Kauri Creek 4WD Track
Take the Kauri Creek 4WD Track-this top 4WD track winds through the Lamb Range rainforest. Expect tight corners and huge drops
Pack up the kids and contact Cairns 4WD hire to make a booking. You can’t miss Australia’s iconic locations when they’re right in your backyard!